Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Thunder Woman & Great Jay

Thunder Woman has appeared many times now, but Great Jay is new. I think he's showed up at the urging of the scrub jays who keep me as their pet.


I first painted him talking to Snow Kachina, which I'll post when winter returns. Here he & Thunder Woman seem to be reaching some kind of agreement while the swans head north for spring. About halfway into painting this image, I got upset with it. I hated it. Just too tame! I ached for something wilder & messier.


So I took out a bigger piece of paper & painted a closer view, bending spatial reality & flinging paint about. Aaaaaah. Much better.


Then I was able to go back to the first image & very happily complete it.


I'm fascinated by people's reactions to the two paintings.  Some people really like the first image & others love the second. Their reasons revealing aspects of the paintings I didn't see consciously--and themselves! 


Both paintings are on display at Sebastopol Gallery until June 12.

1 comment:

  1. Hello Sandy,
    I came across your blog the other day and just now got the time to go back over it. I'm intrigued! First, let me introduce myself. :) My name is Charlene Cordova otherwise known as

    Thunder Woman your Princess of Dawning :)
    Violet Child, Rainbow Warrior of Prophecy

    I was gifted my Great Name(Indian Name) from White Buffalo Calf Woman (Lakota); just recently. :) here is my blog if you would like to look at it. :) http://princessofdawning.blogspot.com/
    Even though it may not be me you are drawing, it's still very neat, i think. So nice to meet you and hear your stories and see your paintings.
    Well, hope to hear from you and looking forward to more of your work.

    Love and Blessings,
    Thunder Woman your Princess of Dawning
    Violet Child, Rainbow Warrior of Prophecy

    ReplyDelete